Mud bogging or mud racing is an off-road motorsport in which competitors attempt to drive a vehicle as far as possible through a pit of mud in the least possible time. It is popular in the United States and Canada, mainly.With its rise in popularity, here is detailed information for mud truck enthusiasts to find the perfect mud trucks for sale.
Elements to Look for in Mud Trucks for Sale:
- Torque is an essential element in this sport which is why a big-block V8 engine is preferred. Small block also works but only if it is modified to make more torque. Diesel engines offer more torque but on the downside are also heavier.
- Robust heavy-duty transfer cases and differentials are important for abrasive environments in which mud trucks are put. Automatic transmissions prevent potential shifts in the middle of situations where you really need to maintain momentum.
- The suspension system usually suspends the body of the truck above the mud so make sure your mud truck is tall. Leaf springs offer more longevity in the case of serious mudding.
- The tires should be tall and wide with pronounced paddles. These give you the ability ride on top of the mud as much as possible so your axles don’t get bogged down.
- The cutting the body of the truck should be such that the tires don’t get hung up. The lighter the truck, the less likely it is to sink in the mud. Carpeting and cloth seats have very little place in a mud truck – not only will they make the truck heavier but also the mud and the water could ruin them.
Best Mud Trucks for Sale:
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Toyota has added a new TRD Pro option package to the 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra, which has great size and flexy coil-link rear suspension.With the TRD Pro package, the suspension gets taller Eibach coils and remote-reservoir Bilstein shocks, which allows for an extra inch of wheel travel at both ends. The 4Runner also has 265/75R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires wrapped around tough faux bead lock wheels. These mud trucks for sale start only at $36,410.
Toyota Land Cruiser
The Land Cruiser consists of a 5.7-liter, 381-hp, V-8 engine. The Toyota uses plush-riding independent front and coil-long solid axle rear suspension for increased articulation. Toyota’s Kinetic Dynamic Suspension allows for more suspension movement in low-speed, off-road conditions, then tighten up at higher road speeds. The Land Cruiser also comes with Crawl Control. There’s even a system that brakes the outside rear wheel to tighten the vehicles’ turning circle on a narrow trail when activated. This model starts at just under $80,000.
Ram Power Wagon
Taking the Heavy Duty Ram truck’s strengths, like its solid axles front and rear and coil-link suspension, the Power Wagon was built. The suspension is slightly taller than a pedestrian Ram 2500. To increase articulation in the three-link front suspension, a new high movement joint has been developed called Articulink which allows more flex in the suspension to keep the tires on the ground in rough terrain. For greater suspension, all you need to do is press a button and the swaybar disconnects. The Power Wagon’s locking front and rear differentials can pull the truck through difficult terrains. There is also a warn electric winch behind the front bumper in case the truck gets stuck. All of this starts at just under $45,000.
Land Rover Range Rover
The Range Rover’s adjustable and long travel air suspension and its computer-controlled Terrain Response four-wheel drive system work together to handle the toughest of terrains. This SUV is designed to cross water up to three feet deep. It also has an aggressive 2.93:1 low-range gearing as well as an optional locking rear differential which also for a smooth drive over obstacles. Opting for the 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 engine gives you a ridiculous 510 hp that can power the Range Rover to 60 mph in 5 seconds. This beast is pricey and starts at $84,000.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
This model combines off-road prowess with excellent driveability and comfort with its 4×4 drive. It comes with 18-inch wheels. The interior is packed with all the basics and is gussied up with a leather-covered dashboard, ventilated/heated seats, and an Alpine sound system. The jeep is powered by a base 184-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder or a 271-horsepower 3.2 liter V6, and a 4×2 (or 4×4) drivetrain setup. The Active Drive II four-wheel drive system allows for the selectable terrain. The Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland has a base price of $35,500.
Key Information on this post
- mud trucks images